Saturday, February 20, 2010

Dogs of the past

This is a little bit of a depressing subject but it was on my mind today. I was at my neice's birthday party, who turned one year old last week, and I was watching her drop big chunks of birthday cake onto the floor beneath her high chair. My mind immediately flashed back to my first Rottweiler Dreamer who used to sit next to my son's high chair and clean up everything he chose to share with her. I have pictures of him feeding her this way. I started thinking about the dogs that I've lost, and began missing them terribly, even though it's been several years since I've seen some of them. Dreamer was a laid back kind-hearted soul that touched a lot of lives in the short time she was here. For several years after she died I could easily remember everything about her and now I'm starting to forget, and this bothers me. Some of the memories I have of her seem more distant and I don't want to forget anything about the time I shared with her. I love the dogs I have now, but I would love to be able to see the ones that have left me. I still miss them.

3 comments:

  1. I can completly understand. It was 9 years this past Christmas Eve that I lost "Lucy" my welch corgi from cancer. I have one shelf in the house with some of her favorite things, and still have her bed, leash and medicines in a storage tote. I wrote her a letter after losing her and find myself pulling it out every once in a while to remind me of all the "special things" I remember about her. You know I love my current pets, but there will always only be 1 Lucy. I planted a tree in her memory that blooms each spring and reminds me of what she did for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost my first dog that I called my own unexpectedly when she was hit by a car right before Thanksgiving 2 years ago. She was a white german shepherd, only 5 years old, and a great dog. She went to work with my dad every day, loved people to pieces, and was overall a great dog. It was very hard for my dad and I, and my whole family definitely still misses her. Like you both said, I love April to pieces, but there will only be one Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these memories. David I love the idea of writing a letter to go back and read. I have made scrapbooks for all the dogs I've lost too and I love looking back through them.

    ReplyDelete