Monday, October 11, 2010

Parade dogs

Saturday was the Luther College homecoming parade and although we missed it, our dogs didn't! The new Animal Allies group at Luther (which Scott is the director for) thought that they might receive more attention during the parade if they had dogs with them. Of course they were right! Paloma, Paige and jack got handed off to Luther students at the start of the parade and we picked them up after. They were all a hit but Jack got the most attention. Not surprising, everyone loves a Pug.

This weekend Scott and I attended our third herding clinic with Kent Herbel of OK, held in Spring Grove. As usual it was an intense learning experience for both the dogs and us. Paloma and Paige attended, since Noel had come in heat two weeks ago. Stock dog work is so difficult (do I sound like a broken record?). Just when I think I have something figured out it all goes to heck. But that's the name of the game and I refuse to quit. What I love about working with Kent is that he teaches the handlers and dogs to do it correctly right from the beginning. I not only learn about handling my dog but I learn about livestock at the same time. And the dogs learn to think and figure things out, rather than become obedient robots. I go home mentally exhausted everytime, but can't wait to get out and practice again!

No comments:

Post a Comment