Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Placing dogs

I made some difficult decisions in August to place two of my dogs in other homes. My Collie Slammer had gone to live with a friend over a year ago but he and her male dog didn't get along well, so Slammer returned to me early this summer. I toyed with the idea of keeping him but he made it clear after a month or so that he wasn't happy here so I began a search for the perfect home for him again. At the end of August I received a call from a friend in LaCrosse, who happens to be a school principal, and her administrative assistant was interested in meeting Slammer. It has been a match made in heaven. Slammer is now a full time companion to Robin and her husband, their other dog and two cats, whom Slammer gets along with wonderfully. He spent all last week hanging out at the school during registration getting lots of attention from the kids and staff. He will be returning to agility competition with his new owner. The other dog that I said goodbye to is Bugs, my border collie. Bugs is an outstanding therapy dog but because of my crazy schedule she rarely has the opportunity to use this gift. She is now living in Iowa with LeAnn, a kindergarten teacher, her husband and three kids, and two golden retrievers. She attends the Starmont school with LeAnn everyday and is a therapy dog in her classroom. The staff and children love her, as do LeAnn's family, and it is a regular fight as to which of her kids gets to spend the most time with Bugs. She is getting 24 hour a day attention, not something that I could give her.

It's such a difficult decision let a dog go and I can't help but feel responsible for disappointing them in some way. But when I hear about how they're thriving in their new homes I know that I made the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment